Initially, we had some challenges getting skiers to take part in this event but in the end it was a whole lot of Fun and everyone will be back in force next Year!
Telemark took part in West Kelowna’s Community Celebration event – Westside Daze – last weekend. The highlight of Westside Daze is always the parade. The Telemark parade entry was a live band being towed on a flatbed trailer behind our Team Telemark van with 17 roller skiers from the Team Telemark racing program showing off their skills with mini races, slalom courses and handing out SunRype Funbites to all the kids along the parade route. Our entry was a big success as we were awarded first prize in the Music category and second prize in the Novelty category.
Big thanks goes out to…
- The band – ‘CRISPRR’. (Darcy Allen -Vocals, Mac Mackay-Keyboard, Curtis Kieres – Guitar, Joel Malin – Drums and Club members Deepa Filatow- Vocals and Barry Allen – Bass guitar). This band was formed by Telemark board member Barry Allen specifically for this purpose. Thanks to all the great musicians for their time and work to bring this band together in such a short time.
- Team Telemark race program kids for roller skiing and handing out treats.
- Telemark board members and coaches who came out to support everyone.
- Okanagan Nation Alliance for donating the Flatbed Trailer.
- SunRype for donating the ‘Funbites’.
We also had a booth at the Westside Daze night market in Memorial Park. Our biathlon laser rifle system was a big hit with everyone. The system simulates shooting a biathlon rifle and gave everyone – old and young alike – a sense of what biathlon is all about. Thanks to Biathlon BC for the loan of the system.
Thanks to the Westside Celebration Society for putting on a great event. We had a fantastic time and are already looking forward to next year’s Westside Daze.