Athlete Performance Manuel
This is a great resource for Nutrition, Cold Prevention, Massage, Healthy Sleep Habits, Diarrhoea, Hydration, Concussions and Mental Performance. Check it out: AthleteHealth&PerformanceHandbook2011
Nutrition; What and When to Eat
Nutrition is important. There is basically no point in training if you are not going to recover appropriately and therefore improve. That means coming to training and races prepared with snacks, drinks and recovery foods. This is a basic overview but a great resource can be found on Coach.ca here: http://www.coach.ca/sport-nutrition-s14783
- Chose meals and snacks high in carbohydrates, moderate in protein and low in fat before a workout or competition.
- Eat a meal or snack 2-4 hours before exercise.
- Experiment with foods during training: how much, what and when. This should help you figure out what works best for you.
- Never try a new food before a competition
Nutrition for Recovery
- For optimal glycogen replacement consume fluids and carbohydrate-rich foods within 30 minutes after exercise.
- Include some lean protein foods as part of snack.
- Don’t skip meals. Eat a balanced meal within 2 hours (breakfast, lunch or dinner).
Nutrition on the Road
- Stick to usual training diet!
- Plan ahead and pack healthy snack choices.
- Bring familiar foods for race day.
- Bring breakfast.
- Make dinner for the nights before event; Small towns often have poor restaurant choices. Get a hotel/motel with a kitchenette.
- Research restaurants before getting to event
- Coolers, Hotplates and Blenders oh my!
Before The Competition all Canadian Sport Institute information courteous of Ashley Anderson
- Most Athletes can absorb 200-250 ml every 15-20 minutes
- CHO-electrolyte drink can be absorbed in drink at about 60 gr per hour
- Dehydration should not exceed 2% Body Weight during any training
- Cold Fluid is absorbed more easily when cold
- Reminder: you will not be permitted to train with the team when it is hot without a hydration method.
Recommended Servings Per Day
Travel Hardware List