Midgets is for all skiers born 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 and arguable the best event of the season for kids. It is Great Fun!
Here is the current event information: Teck 2015 BC Midget Championships Prelim Race Notice-v.2 (1)
We have received more information on the Midgets at Mt. Washington. We have previously discussed hiring a bus for the driving and this is in the works. Accommodation is much more urgent due to availability, especially as it is Family Day weekend. So here is the plan:
It is going to be better to stay on the mountain.
1) It saves us 35-40minutes of driving each way,if the roads are good, which they often are not.
2) The bear lodge condos have kitchens.
3) The banquet is up on the Mtn. NOT in town as was originally planned.
4) It saves the older kids from having to be up at the races well before their start time.
5) With not having to drive and the time saved we will have more time for the ever important “parent’s meeting(s)”.
6) The kids will have a blast and do lots of bonding playing on the mountain. After skiing their courses on the Friday we can plan a fun activity for them (tubing?).
Staying in town will save a bit of money but there are no kitchen facilities where we were going to stay, so all in all we pay a bit more for lodging, we save money on food and have less hassle.
So here are the details. We are going to stay at the Bear Lodge. It is across the street from the banquet lodge and 1 km from the nordic centre (slightly downhill on the way there). They have a variety of condo sizes. The promo code for a 10% discount is MIDGETS. The rate will be slightly cheaper for the Thursday night. For Friday and Saturday nights the nightly rates are:
1 bedroom (sleeps 4) is $219 for 2 people and $20 per person extra.
2 bedroom (sleeps 6) is $279 for 4 people and $20 per person extra.
3 bedroom (sleeps 9) is $339 for 7 people and $20 per person extra.
You are welcome to arrange sharing accommodations with another family, but most families will likely opt to stay alone. This has to be done quickly if we hope to all stay in the same facility, which is crucial if we are taking a bus. Now that the race notice is out these will book up quickly. You will need to put down 25% at time of booking and the remainder 30 days prior to our stay. If you cancel before the 30 day balance is due there is a refund minus a $50 processing fee. We ask that you book by July 1st. You will need to book for three nights (February 5,6,7).