Please let me know ASAP if you are interested in participating in the exchange with Nakkertok (reply to: email@example.com).
For those who were not at the meeting last night, here’s the scoop:
- Duration: Nakkertok kids come here for 1 week in Dec-Jan, our kids go to Ottawa for 1 week in Feb-Mar (dates negotiable)
- Travel expenses: Will be covered by CSFEP and/or SEVEC. I need to know interest *now*, so that I can apply for the funding right away.
- Parent Participation: Some parents/coaches will travel with the kids.
- Billetting: Can be done in pairs, and with like-minded kids. Parents and kids will be able to exchange letters or emails several times before any travel begins.
- What our kids get out of it: As part of the funding requirement, the exchange is set up as a “cultural exchange”. In Ottawa, our kids will be able to tour the parliament buildings, visit excellent museums, skate on the Rideau Canal, attend a French movie or play (for those in French Immersion), etc. At Nakkertok, the kids will experience training and racing with a large club (considerably larger than ours) full of kids who love cross-country skiing.
The Nakkertok kids, when they come here, will enjoy visiting the mountains, Big White and/or Silver Star, perhaps the Westbank First Nation, the H2O Centre. The landscape here is completely different from what they’re used to in Ottawa.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, or if you are willing to help with the organisation of the exchange, please let me know!
Rebecca (mother of Ben and Matt)